Lilypie

January 30, 2009

Wind Farm

Bobby and I came across a wind farm as we were driving out to western Kansas last week. With those of you unfamiliar with the I-70 drive across Kansas, it's pretty flat and lacking in landmarks. It's pretty comical when out of nowhere these HUGE turbines start popping up in this one particular area. The pictures really don't do their size justice. The blades alone tend to run 65 to 130 feet in length with a tower that stands anywhere from 200-300 feet tall. Needless to say, they are the true gentle giants of the plains.



Had we not had to complete a five hour drive that day, I would have been content pulling over and spending the day watching them in action. I know it sounds crazy, but they have this soothing effect. Kind of like watching clouds pass by.

1 comment:

heatherhusker18 said...

Last summer when we went to Colorado my mom called before we left to tell us how cool these wind farms were. We thought she was a little crazy, but I have to admit once I saw them I thought that they were pretty cool!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online